Pregnancy cravings can be a strange thing. They can range from the healthy to the weird and everything in between. While some are more common, others are not and may seem odd. The truth is those weird pregnancy cravings are as individual as you are. What you crave is often determined by your personality, culture, and even your mother’s diet during pregnancy.
Table of Contents
Weird Pregnancy Cravings
Many people have a craving for something that they would normally never eat or drink. This can happen because of hormonal changes in the body during pregnancy or because of an emotional need being met by this craving. But things need not be as such! You don’t have to give in to these weird pregnancy cravings if you don’t want to. Still, it’s essential to understand why they happen. Then, you will prepare to handle these cravings in the best possible manner when they arise.
What Are the Weirdest Pregnancy Cravings?
There are many types of food cravings that some pregnant women experience. These cravings can range from sweet to savory and can be caused by different things.
Some weird pregnancy cravings are:
- Chocolate: Many women crave chocolate when they get pregnant. Chocolate contains serotonin, and consuming it helps lower the desire for the same. But watch how much you eat!
- Ice cream with a twist: Unlike regular ice cream, the twist comes from meat chunks or a combination of sweetness and salt. The cravings become more robust when the baby uses the calcium reserves of the mother.
- Pickles: Sweet, salt, or acidic foods are often consumed by pregnant women. However, what makes it weird is the combination of cravings where they love to eat anything from dry crackers to yogurt. It is because of the low sodium levels.
- Ice: You probably added ice to your coffee or fruit juice. But when you are pregnant, you crave ice more often and like to crunch it or chew it in the mouth. If you feel such a craving, consuming popsicles (ice cold) is a great idea to keep up with the fluid levels. (https://lapress.org)
- Salty snacks: These include a range of snacks that you never considered eating when you were normal because of the salt and preservatives. But, during pregnancy, your craving shoots up and seeks more of a weird request to fill the spots that the body needs.
- Spicy foods: Spicy foods are the primary reason for acid reflux and can make things worse during your pregnancy. But your heart and the new resident in the tummy want what it likes.
- Any form of peanut butter: Peanut butter is rich in protein and satisfies the taste buds of your cravings that seek salt and sweet combination at times.
- Chew cigarette butt: Of course, you never smoke. But, hey, you are pregnant and crave chewing cigarette butt, one of the weird cravings during pregnancy.
- Melons: As the baby grows, your body must maintain its reserve or level of hydration. The body sends signals to consume melons, especially watermelons, whenever the indication is low on fluid levels.
- Hot sauce: Yes, another source of spicy food that you always avoided or consumed on a limited basis when you were not pregnant.
What Causes Weird Pregnancy Cravings?
Weird pregnancy cravings are a common occurrence for pregnant women. What causes them, and what does it mean? Pregnancy cravings are often the result of increased appetite and exposure to certain smells. It has also been theorized that pregnancy cravings are an evolutionary adaptation that ensures a mother-to-be can provide the nutrients their baby needs to grow.
Weird pregnancy cravings are caused by a group of chemicals called olfactory compounds, which increase in quantity during pregnancy. These compounds trigger changes in smell receptors and responses in the brain, resulting in increased appetite, decreased levels of ghrelin (a hormone that regulates appetite), and higher levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure.
Pregnancy cravings can be anything from sweet foods like chocolate and ice cream to salty foods such as corn chips and potato chips.
How to Deal with Weird Pregnancy Cravings?
All pregnant women experience pregnancy cravings. They are part of becoming a mother and should be embraced. There are many ways to deal with pregnancy cravings. One way is to eat what you crave as long as it’s healthy for you and your baby.
If you crave something unhealthy, try to find a healthier alternative. For example, try frozen yogurt or sorbet if you crave ice cream. Another way is to find the reason behind the craving and address it accordingly. For instance, if you are craving salty food because of morning sickness, drink more fluids or eat more fresh fruits like bananas to help with the nausea problem. Morning sickness relief drops also help with morning sickness and interestingly can be used by the whole family generally for upset stomach
Others may want to indulge in their weird pregnancy cravings by eating healthier versions of whatever they’re craving. For example, suppose they want chocolate cake but not all chocolate cake benefits them or their baby. In that case, they can make a healthier version at home and enjoy it guilt-free. Lastly, they may want to talk to a medical professional about their cravings.
The Importance of Monitoring Cravings During Pregnancy
Cravings can be hard to resist and lead to unhealthy eating habits. Therefore, monitoring cravings during pregnancy is crucial because it helps the mom-to-be make healthier choices that will help during pregnancy. In addition, weird pregnancy cravings indicate that the mom-to-be is deficient in a nutrient and needs to take steps to ensure that she is getting enough of this crucial substance in the diet.
Weird pregnancy cravings are the most common thing to hear about pregnant women. It is not uncommon for pregnant women to crave something they would never have eaten otherwise.
Pregnancy cravings are a very normal thing, and they are not just limited to food as well. Some women may also crave certain smells or sounds, which is normal. Pregnancy cravings will come and go, but they are essential for the mother-to-be because they help her get all the nutrients she needs for her baby.
Do let us know what your weird pregnancy cravings are!