Sweet potatoes are not only healthy but you can make various recipes. Because of the countless benefits, many people are choosing sweet potatoes for their diet. If you want to make a perfect sweet potato gratin, we are here to help you out.
Hence, this recipe is a great option for lunch or dinner. Moreover, it’s also easy to prepare. In this article, we are sharing the easiest process to prepare this recipe. Plus, we are also covering the benefits of sweet potatoes. Make sure you are reading each step to make a perfect sweet potato gratin. So, let’s find out.
Benefits of Sweet Potato
Before we start with the recipe, you need to know about the benefits of sweet potato. There are several benefits of eating sweet potatoes. However, we have handpicked only five best benefits of this vegetable in the following:
1. Healthy Vision
Because of the bright orange color, sweet potatoes have rich beta-carotene. If you don’t know, beta-carotene is converted to Vitamin A which is very good for our vision. You might know that vitamin A deficiency can be the cause of xerophthalmia. So, eating orange-fleshed vegetables such as sweet potatoes is ideal for your healthy vision.
2. Good For Immune System
Improving our immune system is one of the most essential things nowadays. People are caring more about it during the Covid-19 pandemic. The good thing is you can improve your immune system by adding sweet potato gratin on your diet. As we mentioned above, sweet potatoes have vitamin A which is very good for the immune system.
3. Promote Gut Health
Gut health is another popular issue right now. However, the good thing is sweet potatoes have antioxidants and fibers which are good for gut health. This vegetable has two types of fibers; soluble and insoluble.
These two fibers can promote your gut health as well. So, make sure you are adding sweet potatoes to your diet.
By reading this article, you might have learned that sweet potatoes are highly nutritious. This vegetable has a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. On the other hand, sweet potatoes are rich in antioxidants. It can help your body from free radicals. You see, free radical damage can be related to heart disease and other chronic diseases.
5. Have Cancer-Fighting Properties
As we mentioned above, sweet potatoes have several antioxidants. These antioxidants are good for various types of cancers. According to some research, anthocyanins protect people by slowing down the growth of cancer cells. And anthocyanins can be found in the purple variant of sweet potatoes.
As you can see, sweet potato gratin is one of the best dishes nowadays. Many people are preferring this because of its healthy benefits. Plus, it’s super easy to make. Hence, it can be the best side dish for your dinner.
So, if you are ready to make this recipe, you have to know about the ingredients first. Let’s find out what ingredients we need to make a perfect gratin for your family:
- 2 pounds of medium-sized sweet potatoes
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- ¼ tablespoon of nutmeg
- And, ¼ tablespoon of ginger
- ¼ tablespoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 3-4 sprigs chopped thyme
- 1 can low-fat milk
- Kosher salt
These are the basic ingredients for preparing sweet potato gratin. However, you can add other items as per your requirements. Let’s find out how to make a gratin with the following step-by-step process.
Step by Step Process to Make Sweet Potato Gratin
Now, you know what ingredients you need to make a gratin. However, you can add some extra items to customize this dish. If you are making it for the first time, you have to follow the following steps:
- You need to use a microwave oven to make sweet potato gratin. So, first, preheat it to 350℉.
- Next, you have to grease a baking dish with butter. Using a 9-inch baking dish is ideal for preparing this recipe. You can use nonstick baking spray instead of butter
- Then, you need to cut sweet potatoes into round slices. Make sure those slices are thin enough when you are cutting. Don’t make them larger than 1/8” thick. You can use a mandoline in this case.
- When you are done with cutting, you have to place the slices in a single layer in the baking dish
- Next, you have to sprinkle grated cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Many people are also using gruyére cheese for sweet potato gratin You need to repeat this process for two-three more layers
- On the other hand, you need to heat olive oil in a sauce pan and add other ingredients such as ginger, garlic, and pepper and cook for five minutes. Cook until it turns golden.
- Next, you need to add other ingredients such as nutmeg, cream, and thyme. Cook it for another five minutes until it turns thick. Make sure you are not boiling it
- When it’s done, pour the cream mixture over the sweet potatoes and cheese. You can also add some thyme leaves at the top.
- The last stage is baking. So, bake the sweet potato gratin for the next 40-50 minutes. You need to wait until it turns golden brown. If the gratin is turning brown quickly, you can cover it with aluminum foil
- Finally, remove the gratin from the oven when it’s done and leave it for the next 10 minutes. Then, you can serve it. You can also garnish it with fresh thyme leaves.
You see, making a perfect sweet potato gratin can be very easy. The best thing is you can customize this dish as per your requirements. We have also shared the health benefits of sweet potato and this dish.
So, you can include this side dish in your dinner or lunch. If you need to know more regarding this dish, there’re so many resources available on the internet.