Hair loss is such a hot topic in the world today. Being at the top in the list of most common problems worldwide, hair loss is affecting one-third of the population. Every person loses about 50 – 100 hair strands each day. Because of being the part of the natural hair growth cycle, you need not worry over a few follicles falling off. But if the falling hair exceeds the average count, then there is definitely something to be concerned about.
There can be multiple reasons through which the hair loss occurs, either temporarily or permanently. Until the people realize the problem of hair loss getting out of control, they take it very lightly. It usually gets too late by then because the person has already entered the state of baldness.
Generally, the main reasons for hair loss are:
- Improper or bad nutrition: The right foods are really good for your hair as well as overall health because an unhealthy diet and mineral deficiency can restrict the growth of your hair.
- Hereditary traits: Sometimes, genetic or hereditary factors like male or female pattern baldness also play a major part in hair loss and baldness.
- Unhealthy lifestyle or routine habits: Excessive heat, sunlight, use of chemically treated hair products, improper hair care can also lead to the loss of hair.
- Sudden hormonal changes: Abrupt hormonal changes can sometimes put the wrong effect on the hair growth cycle, causing hair to fall off.
- Stress/Depression/Anxiety: Excessive stress and depression are the root causes of many health problems including hair loss as a major one.
- Chronic diseases: There are also several chronic diseases such as thyroid, anemia, hormone issues and autoimmune diseases that may also cause changes or loss of hair.
- Excessive intake of supplements: If you take too much of vitamins and mineral supplements, the hair follicles will go into overdrive. This means that your hair will be reaching the end of the growth phase too quickly and falling out.
- Pollution & other factors: Some people may also get prone to hair loss due to dirt, grime, pollutant atmosphere around them or due to the change in seasons. Wearing a cap, hat or helmet regularly could also be other reasons for hair fall in men.
- What do Medical Experts say?
- 10 Hair Loss Treatments for Men
- #1 A Balanced Diet with Proper Nutrition
- #2 Scalp Massage
- #3 Hair Transplant Surgery
- #4 Egg Mask Treatment
- #5 Avoid Smoking & Alcohol Beverages
- #6 PRP Therapy
- #7 Keep Yourself Hydrated
- #8 Minoxidil
- #9 Propecia (Finasteride)
- #10 Lifestyle Changes & Hair Care Routine
What do Medical Experts say?
It is always recommended by the experts to opt for the appropriate solutions before it gets too late. Hair loss at later stages can result in bald patches and to treat the high level of baldness, you have to burn a hole in your pocket. So think wisely, do thorough research and consult with the hair loss specialists to get the best solution to eliminate your hair loss.
There are as many possible hair loss treatments as there are reasons for hair loss. Everything ranging from special diets to vitamin supplements, shampoos, hair products, and even prescription drugs are utilized to keep the men and women away from their balding destiny.
10 Hair Loss Treatments for Men
#1 A Balanced Diet with Proper Nutrition
Nutrition is the building block of hair. Proper nutrition is not only the key factor to treat hair loss but it is also essential to maintain the overall health of our body. A healthy balanced diet and good nutrition will keep you away from a number of health problems. Not only the body health, but it will also keep your hair in tip-top shape and texture.
Taking a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals through actual food will definitely make your hair stronger and healthier. Limit your intake of sweets and try to include a wide variety of veggies, fruits, unsaturated fats, whole grains and lean proteins in your daily diet.
Try adding in the following types of foods in your diet:
- Iron-rich foods, including lean beef, beans, green leafy vegetables, iron-fortified grains, and eggs
- The food items rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, tuna, flax seeds, egg yolks, hemp seeds and walnuts
- High protein foods, like eggs, lean meats, poultry, fish and seafood are all good sources of protein. But if you are a vegetarian, you can include whole grains, beans, nuts, and seeds into your diet to get sufficient protein.
#2 Scalp Massage
Whether you are experiencing hair loss or not, scalp massage is an essential thing for your hair that you must do on a regular basis. Massaging your scalp with essential oils for a couple of minutes will help your hair follicles to be strong and active.
Adding lavender in an almond or sesame oil will work wonder for your hair. You’ll not only feel wonderful through scalp massages, but they can help with your hair loss, too. The head massage at regular intervals also stimulates the growth of hair follicles.
#3 Hair Transplant Surgery
Hair transplant is by far the best hair loss treatment that not only provides long-lasting results but also the completely natural look. It is a surgical method of extracting the hair from the back of the head and placing those hairs into the bald areas. The hair follicles can be harvested from the donor area by the two most popular hair transplant procedures, which are follicular unit transplantation and follicular unit extraction. There are many clinics in India who offers low-cost hair transplant in Ludhiana, India.
#3.1 Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
FUT is the traditional hair transplant method. It involves removing a small strip of skin from the back of your scalp where there is plenty of hair available, dissecting the follicles from that strip of skin and finally, inserting the hair follicles into the parts of the scalp which are affected by hair loss.
#3.2 Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
In FUE, the hair follicles are harvested directly from the back and sides of the head and transplanted to the bald parts of the scalp. It is the latest and most widely used technique of surgical hair restoration. The hair grafts are extracted one by one and thus, it does not cause any major scarring at the donor area.
Because hair transplant is considered as an invasive procedure, so it is a little expensive and it may be painful. There are also certain risks involved in rare cases, which can be swelling, itching, infections, etc.
But all these issues will get resolved within a certain period of time. If you have a large area of baldness, then you may also require more than one hair transplant session to get the desired outcomes.
#4 Egg Mask Treatment
You should apply egg mask treatment at least once a month if you are suffering from hair loss. Eggs can benefit the growth of your hair a lot because they contain plentiful protein which helps strengthen hair follicles. The rich moisture in the egg hair mask protects the hair strands from becoming thin and dry.
How to make and apply egg hair mask:
- Crack an egg into a bowl and beat it until it becomes smooth.
- Pour in the yogurt and until the mixture becomes creamy, whisk it with the egg.
- Apply it to your wet hair and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair properly to rinse out the mask.
#5 Avoid Smoking & Alcohol Beverages
You have probably heard about the negative impacts of smoking on your lungs. Not only lungs, but smoking also causes hair loss and premature graying of hair. The research studies have shown that there is definitely a link between smoking and hair loss.
Smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol diminish the amount of blood supply that flows to the scalp and as a result of reduced blood supply; it becomes the reason for the reduction in hair growth. So to treat hair loss, try to quit smoking and alcohol as soon as possible. Lessening your alcohol intake will help in the increase of hair growth.
#6 PRP Therapy
PRP (Platelet-rich Plasma) is a concentration of platelets that are used to recover loss of hair, damaged ligaments, tendons and joints with tissue repair and accelerated healing.
PRP therapy was first brought forward for professional athletes and weekend warriors because it was very effective in reducing swelling, stiffness, inflammation, tenderness, and pain. But now it is also used as a hair loss treatment, in which the doctors inject the platelet-rich plasma into the hair loss/thinning affected area of the scalp to promote thicker hair growth.
#7 Keep Yourself Hydrated
Other than all the medications, healthy diet, proper nutrition and hair loss treatments, the most important tip that you should extremely focus upon is to drink plenty of water. It is very easy to keep your body hydrated, as you just need to drink enough water every day.
To maintain the health of your hair, staying hydrated is important. The hair shaft comprises one-quarter water; therefore, you must drink a minimum of four to eight ounces of water every day to stay hydrated and for the growth of healthy hair. Severe dehydration can interrupt the hair growth cycle, thus making the hair dry and brittle. Dry hair tends to break more often and easily. Drinking enough water can keep hair cells healthy.
To keep your body and hair hydrated, there are some simple tips and tricks that you need to follow like you can diminish the use of electronic hair products such as flat irons, curling irons, blow dryers, etc. Still, in case of requirement, you should use these products only at a lower heat setting. Also, avoid using the hair products that contain silicon and sulfates.
The big daddy of hair loss treatments, Rogaine is the most widespread brand name for Minoxidil. This drug was originally developed to treat high blood pressure, but researchers quickly discovered its other uses and now, it is also used as a hair growth solution.
Rogaine works by widening the hair follicles, making each individual hair to naturally grow thicker and stronger. You can apply it as a shampoo; the drug also boosts the growth of more hairs, even in the areas of the scalp that have less hair production.
#9 Propecia (Finasteride)
Finasteride, most commonly sold under the brand name Propecia, first hit the market as a treatment for prostate enlargement. As with minoxidil, the experts rapidly noticed that it is also effective in the growth of hair. Propecia was developed as the first finasteride-based solution for the treatment of hair loss.
The men taking Finasteride can expect around 30% diminution in the rate of their hair loss, for as long as they continue taking it. But in women, the studies showed that this drug is no more effective than a placebo.
#10 Lifestyle Changes & Hair Care Routine
Adapting healthy lifestyle changes and healthy hair care routine will definitely work as a beneficial hair loss treatment for you. To get good hair health, you should adopt the following tips and precautions:
Clean & Healthy Scalp:
The dirt, grime, and pollution are also the factors of causing hair fall problems; so people need to keep their scalp clean and healthy with the proper use of mild shampoo & conditioner.
Boost the intake of Vitamins A & C:
To keep your hair moisturized and protected from hair breakage, Vitamin A and C are responsible to repair your hair tissues and to make your hair healthier and stronger. Several fruits and vegetables are the rich sources of these vitamins such as dark leafy greens, tomatoes, berries, kiwi and dairy products.
Use of Appropriate Shampoo & Conditioner:
To protect the hair from getting dry and weak, you should make use of suitable shampoo and conditioner as per the conditions of your hair and scalp.
Trim Your Hair Regularly
In order to ensure that your hair grows healthily, you should trim your hair at regular intervals and make sure that you don’t have any split ends.