Birth control, or contraception, is the process of taking pills, using devices, or undergoing surgery to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. Birth control has immense benefits, such as regulating your period cycles and combating acne. Apart from these significant effects, several people also report some side effects. Studies have shown that hormonal birth control can cause fatigue and depression. These measures can also mess with some hormones, which cause tiredness. If you are confused about does birth control make you tired or not, let’s evaluate the effects of birth control measures thoroughly.
How Birth Control Makes You Feel Tired: Key Facts
Birth control measures trigger hormonal and other changes in your body. These measures have become an essential part of the modern lifestyle as they give us better control over the decisions related to reproductive choices. But at the same time, it causes many grave side effects, and fatigue and tiredness are among them. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, extreme tiredness and lack of energy are the potential yet uncommon effects of taking birth control pills. Let’s take a look at some important studies regarding this.
1) According to several theories, birth control measures can make you feel tired and sleepy. This tiredness is also a result of many associated symptoms. For example, some research has indicated that taking birth control measures can cause depression, which can further cause tiredness and fatigue. As per a 2016 study, the first depression diagnosis and the first anti-depressant were related to hormonal birth control. Therefore, does birth control make you feel tired has different implications.
2) As per a study, taking birth control pills can reduce the production of testosterone in the blood, which further causes fatigue.
3) Not every woman is sensitive to the hormonal changes in the body and the impact of birth control measures. Some women react well and respond to these changes well. In such women, you will hardly find any symptoms of tiredness. While many other women may feel tired because of the presence of synthetic hormones in contraceptive pills or injections, according to a study, only 1 to 2 percent of women using progestin-only contraceptives felt tired because of these birth control measures.
4) As per one study, taking birth control pills can have several impacts on the human body. The study indicated that hormonal methods of birth control showed some impact on tiredness. At the same time, non-hormonal methods did not show any symptoms of tiredness. For example, copper IUDs did not show any impact. So, there are a lot of ifs and buts regarding does birth control make you feel tired.
Ways to Manage Fatigue Caused by Birth Control
Hormonal birth control measures can cause tiredness, and we often look for varied ways to combat the tiredness or fatigue. Introduce some lifestyle changes to combat tiredness.
1) Prioritize sleep
To combat tiredness caused by birth control issues, it is important to prioritize your sleep. Try to have consistent bedtime and sleep schedules with no frequent changes. Also, avoid stimulating activities, and limit your exposure to electronic devices. It will create a calming environment and help you reduce fatigue.
2) Boost Energy Levels by Performing Simple Yoga
If you perform heavy yoga, it can be harmful to you, especially when you take birth control pills. But performing light yoga asanas, like walking or jogging, can boost your energy levels, reducing tiredness.
3) Take a Balanced Diet
Are you wondering how to reduce tiredness, which is caused by hormonal birth control measures? You should start eating a balanced diet. A balanced diet can reduce tiredness and improve your overall strength in the long run. Incorporate lean protein, whole grains, veggies, and fruit into your diet.
4) Manage Stress
Managing stress is very essential, especially when you are taking birth control pills. Long-term stress can lead to depression in human beings. Depression is a significant cause of a drop in energy levels. You will feel tired in such a case. Therefore, it is best to perform some de-stressing activities like meditation or deep breathing to feel fresh.
5) Avoid caffeine
The consumption of caffeine is widely related to a drop in energy levels. Therefore, if you feel tired, you should cut caffeine-related intake, such as tea, coffee, and other energy drinks.
6) Take Breaks
Keeping yourself busy with a task or some other physical activity for a long time will increase your tiredness. Therefore, change your lifestyle so that you take breaks while performing some activities. For example, take short walks, as it will reduce your tiredness.
7) Say no to Alcohol Consumption
You must say no to alcohol consumption because regular consumption of alcohol leads to a fall in energy levels. Therefore, it is the best choice to discard the habits of alcohol consumption and promote a healthy lifestyle. Instead of falling in to the dilemma of Does birth control make you tired, follow all these precautions to ensure a smooth life.
So, we hope you know the answer to the query, “Does birth control make you tired?” Not all birth control measures will make you feel tired, but hormonal birth control measures can cause fatigue for you. Therefore, you must incorporate some practical ways to reduce this tiredness and incorporate some healthy lifestyle routines. Also, tiredness has a limited effect, as we cannot see this impact on all women.
1) What are some common side-effects of birth control measures?
There are several side effects of these birth control medications. Some critical side effects include nausea, vomiting, tiredness, frequent mood changes, breast tenderness, headaches, weight gain, high blood pressure, and vaginal discharge.
2) Does birth control have an adverse impact on sleep?
In some cases, taking birth control pills also makes you feel tired, and in other cases, it can also make you feel deprived of sleep. Some women report insomnia whenever they take birth control pills.
3) What should we do to minimize tiredness via self-help measures?
If you are not able to control the tiredness by taking some great measures like performing exercises and taking a balanced diet, you must talk to a doctor right away.
Hi, This is Bharat Divya, a post-graduate in English. Found a natural flair for writing from the very beginning. Divya loved giving voice to the natural inclination towards writing. Joined the content writing industry and explored her passion in diverse ways. Her passion for weaving thoughts into words is innate and gives wings to her imagination. She loves to pen down writing in different niches like fashion, beauty, food, celebrity lifestyles, and many more.