There are many people in this world who are suffering from hearing loss and conversation used to be very challenging for these people. All deaf people do not have the skills of understanding lip reading and as such, they sometimes cannot understand or recognize the lip shapes, gestures and facial movements of people and this makes them more difficult to detect what others are saying to them. Actually, there are many hearing aids clinic in Edmonton, Alberta where people with hearing loss can learn the techniques to communicate clearly. But all people with hearing loss are not privileged to go to such school or avail digital hearing aids. Hence, Ostomy has come up with some simple communication tips so that they can communicate with others without facing any difficulty.
Communication Tips for deaf
The following are some effective communication tips that should be considered while communicating with someone:
- Gain attention: The first thing that the person with hearing loss needs to do is to gain attention while talking to others. Some people with hearing loss can hear a little better from one eye and so it is advisable for those people to move that ear to the person who is talking to them. These kinds of small changes can also make a huge difference.
- Find a quiet place for conversation: While conversing it is very essential to find a quiet place so that it becomes easier for the person with hearing loss to understand what the other persons are saying to them. For example, if the pace where the person with hearing loss surrounds a lot of noise or has distracting background noise then it will become difficult for the person with hearing loss to pick the voice of the other person who is talking to him. Hence it is always recommended to find a quiet place for talking.
- Speak naturally: Both the person with hearing loss as well as the person who is talking with him should speak distinctly without exaggeration. Neither of the person involved in the conversation needs to shout since shouting can distort the world which ultimately will make it more difficult for the person with hearing loss to understand what the other person is saying to him. Apart from that, neither the person with hearing loss nor the person involved in a conversation should mumble while talking to each other. It is always advisable to speak at a normal rate – neither too fast nor too slow.
- Use of app: A number of apps available in the market which can translate the spoken words into written words. With the help of such kind of app whatever words are uttered by the persons is shown up on the screen and from that, the person with hearing loss can easily determine what the person wants to way. One such app is Dragon which is highly used by the people who have problems in hearing.
- Maintain eye contact: Another most important thing that a person with hearing loss must do is maintain eye contact with the person who is contacting him. When the person with hearing loss maintains eye contact properly, he can understand what is being conveyed to him from the facial expressions as well as the body language of the person who is conversing with the person with hearing loss. For example, the person with hearing loss can observe the person’s excitement, joy, confusion or frustration from the facial expressions or body language of the person.
- Do not cover the face while talking: It is very common to speak at the time of eating or drinking and in such case people tends to block their face. But people may face a great issue while talking to someone by covering his or her face and people with hearing loss face this problem more than the normal person. Since the persons who are involved in the conversation cannot observe the facial expression properly of the other person it becomes really difficult to guess what the other person wants to say. Hence, it is always recommended for both the parties involved in conversation not to cover their faces while taking.