A beautiful smile is something that most of us strive for. This is where cosmetic dentistry comes into place. However, it is not just for the wealthy and the famous. Today, there are plenty of options for everyone regardless of their budget. Thus, anyone can have the perfect smile without having to spend a fortune. Most dentists provide some type of cosmetic dentistry procedures. Hence, you should have no trouble finding a dentist based on your requirements. From oral surgery to subtle changes, cosmetic dentistry involves various techniques for treating missing, misshaped, chipped, and discolored teeth.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry mostly deals with the appearance of your smile unlike traditional dentistry that addresses your oral health. With advancements in the field, dentists can perform just about any type of procedure to help improve your smile, from translucent tooth coverings to improved teeth whitening. Although cosmetic dentistry has been around for a long time, the materials that are used today tend to be more natural looking and durable.
The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry had revealed that two-thirds of the patients that seek cosmetic dentistry tend to be women and the average amount of money spent on the procedures was slightly under $4,000 in 2007. But, there are also more affordable cosmetic dentistry procedures that only cost $300. Since cosmetic dentistry is deemed elective and not necessary, it is not normally covered by insurance.
Why You Need To See A Cosmetic Dentist
My Dentist San Francisco states the following as just some of the reasons why you should see a cosmetic dentist.
- Missing Teeth
- Misshaped Teeth
- Crooked Teeth
- Damaged Teeth
- Tooth Decay
People that have discolored, crooked, decaying, or damaged teeth are also likely to experience difficulty when speaking and eating. As for others, they would feel a drop in self-esteem. Based on a survey by the American Dental Association in 2015, it was found that 33 percent of young people do not feel like they should smile due to not having the perfect teeth. Besides this, another 23 percent cut back their participation in social activities because of their smile. If you are not satisfied with your smile, you need to visit a dentist who will help improve your teeth in no time.
Cosmetic Dentistry Options
When it comes to cosmetic dentistry, there are various procedures that are available as mentioned below.
- Teeth Whitening: It is a procedure that helps brighten your teeth if they are stained or discolored. The treatment can either be done at the dentist’s office or from the comfort of your home. However, it is best to see a dentist for the best results.
- Bonding: It aims to improve the appearance of teeth which have stains, gaps, cracks, are broken, or chipped.
- Dental Veneers: These thin, porcelain shells are custom-made to cover the front part of the teeth to hide imperfections and discoloration.
- Tooth Reshaping: It involves changing the teeth for improving the appearance of your teeth by removing or modifying enamel. It is also called dental contouring.
- Smile Makeover: It consists of various treatments that work together to improve the appearance of your teeth.
- Crown Lengthening: It helps fix uneven gum lines through removal of excess gum tissue.
How to Select a Cosmetic Dentist?
The outcome of the cosmetic dentistry work depends on the experience and skill of the dentist. Although certain dental specialists like periodontists and orthodontists require special certifications and additional education, the field of cosmetic dentistry does not require additional requirements. Generally, a dentist should have a degree in general dentistry and experience performing cosmetic dentistry procedures. You should ask for the following to ensure that you select the best dentist for the job.
- Proof of Continuing Education
- Patient References
- Before and After Pictures of Patients Treated
In addition to the above, it is important that you find out if the dentist is a member of the professional body as it would ensure that they have expertise in the field and are committed to the field.
As cosmetic dentistry becomes more popular, it is important that you see a cosmetic dentist to improve your smile. With the rise in social media, it has become more important than ever before to consider it. Although not everyone has naturally perfect teeth, a dentist can help you achieve the perfect teeth in time. During the initial consultation, the dentist will determine which treatment you should get.