Mexican potatoes are a few delicious side dishes to enjoy in your dinner and breakfast. They are also vegetarian and free from gluten content. If you want a fun twist with the combination of cheese and roasted crispy potatoes, you should try a delicious Mexican potato recipe from the ones available in our blog post. The best thing about such potato recipes is that they are dipped in cheese and tossed in varieties of spices.
Table of Contents
List of Easy-Made Mexican Potato Recipe Variants
1. Potato Bean Burritos with Cheese Sauce
Potato bean burritos are a few skillet-grilled and hearty vegan burritos stuffed with a special cheese sauce. The recipe has a few other stuffings, like onions, sweet and white potatoes, and tomatoes. As a Mexican-style potato dish, it is perfect to prepare at any time during the week. Moreover, homemakers and chefs may try the dish even when they have limited time, as one can prepare it within only 30 minutes.
For Cheese Sauce
- Soaked cashews of about 1/3 cup with 2/3 cups of filtered water
- 1/4th cup of dry tomatoes
- Olive oil, and 2-teaspoon lemon juice
- Nutritional yeast of 1/3cup
- Spices, such as onion powder, cumin, chili powder, garlic, paprika, and cayenne
- Salt to taste
For Potato Burritos
- One big potato and one medium-sized sweet potato both diced small
- Avocado oil or melted coconut oil of 2 teaspoons
- Dash of paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and onion
- Pepper and salt to taste
- One tomato and one onion in diced form
- Spinach, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, and related sauce fillings
- Gluten-free or whole-grain flour tortillas
- Sliced green onions and cilantro for servings
How to Prepare
- Preheat the oven to a maximum of 400 degrees Fahrenheit and make a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine potatoes with spices and oil to season with pepper and salt while spreading out on a frying pan. Bake the potatoes for about 10 to 15 minutes or until they turn brown and crispy.
- Blend each ingredient to prepare the cheese sauce and prepare other essential ingredients you want.
- Collect each burrito and lay out the shells of the tortilla to spread them with beans. Later, you should top everything with onions, cheese sauce, onions, potatoes, and related toppings.
- Heat a flat saute pan on medium heat and add one-teaspoon avocado or coconut oil. Once the pan becomes hot, add a burrito one at one time and heat on both sides for a while until it turns brown and crispy from the outside.
- Serve hot with cilantro, green onions, and cheese sauce.
2. Potato Tacos filled with Sprouts
Are you tired of having regular tortillas at home? Try the latest Mexican-style potato tacos filled with a slaw of fresh Brussels sprouts, soft white potatoes, and black beans. Besides, you may even add a few other Mexican flavors to make the Mexican potato recipe tastier.
- 350 grams of potatoes and 150 grams of Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup onions (chopped finely)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1/4th teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder and red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup and 2 tablespoons of taco sauce
- ½ teaspoon of coriander chutney, mustard sauce, honey, and mayonnaise
For assembly, you need sliced jalapenos, queso, sour cream, salsa, and tacos.
How to Prepare
- Preheat your oven to a maximum of 450 degrees of Fahrenheit.
- Wash potatoes and chop them to make small cubes.
- Cut Brussels sprouts into small pieces.
- Add Brussels sprouts, potatoes, ginger, garlic, onions, olive oil, and peppers in a baking tray lined with parchment. Simultaneously, add a few seasonings, like red chili powder, cumin powder, pepper, and salt. Toss everything well and bake in the preheated oven for about half an hour. Make sure to toss everything midway until the content becomes crispy and cooked properly.
- Mix mustard sauce, taco sauce, ketchup, honey, mayonnaise, and coriander chutney to place them aside.
- Once you cook potatoes and Brussels sprouts, mix them with the mixture of sauces to prepare the filling.
- Heat taco shells and insert the fillings.
- Top up with a few sliced jalapenos and queso.
- Add sour cream or salsa to enjoy.
3. Mexican Coleslaw with Crispy Potato Flautas
Do you want to enjoy authentic Mexican flautas without compromising your taste? In this recipe, you should roll onions and soft buttery potatoes into a corn tortilla and fry it on both sides until the tortilla becomes crispy. One can serve it with crispy coleslaw on its side prepared in Mexican style. Other than that, you may try it with fresh cucumber, Romaine lettuce, cilantro, radish, and scallions by tossing them with a few drops of lime and creamy mayo.
For Potato Flautas
- Corn tortillas
- Gold potatoes with yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of vegan butter
- Vegetable oil
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup of roughly chopped radish and cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of scallions
- Lime juice and cilantro
- Pepper and salt
How to Prepare
- Chop and peel potatoes into a few small pieces and boil them to reach tenderness. Simultaneously, use vegan butter to saute the onion. Mash potatoes properly and add onion to season with pepper and salt.
- Heat the tortillas so that they roll up easily. Put one tablespoon of potato mixture in the mid of a tortilla and spread within a strip. Roll the tortilla tightly to create a flute shape or flauta. Repeat the same process with other tortillas.
- Take a big skillet and heat vegetable oil. Once the skillet and the oil become hot, fry 2 to 3 flautas.
- On the other hand, combine each of the veggies to prepare the Mexican coleslaw. Besides, add lime, vegan mayonnaise, and cilantro and season with pepper and salt to toss.
- Use vegan sauce cream or salsa to top up the potato flautas and serve with the prepared Mexican coleslaw.
Basic Steps to Prepare Mexican Potato Recipe
Once you know about a few of the Mexican-style potato recipes, you should know the basic steps to prepare the Mexican potato recipe. For this-
- Combine oil, a few potatoes, and spices in a big mixing bowl to toss them well. Here, you should toss until each of the potatoes become coated properly.
- Line a big baking sheet using parchment paper. Dip each potato piece by cutting them side down and dip them in the parmesan cheese lightly.
- Arrange the cut potatoes to avoid them touching each other. Focus on the potatoes’ spacing and strictly overcrowding of the baking sheet.
- Bake the potato pieces for about half an hour or until the cut potatoes become crispy and tender. Use a knife or fork to check the tenderness of the potatoes.
Ingredients and Equipment You Need for Mexican-style Potatoes
You need a few simple and easily available ingredients to cook any potato recipe in Mexican style. These include baby potatoes, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic, parmesan, and olive oil. On the other hand, the equipment you need to prepare the dishes include the following-
Metallic Baking Sheet
A large metallic baking sheet bakes the cut potatoes in the less possible period. Besides, the hot metal may make the parmesan cheese crispy.
Parchment paper may avoid sticking the potatoes and allow their easy cleanup. If possible, you may opt to pre-cut the parchment paper pieces.
Big Mixing Bowls
Big mixing bowls may allow you to toss the potatoes properly in the oil and other spices.
Micro plane Grater
The micro plane grater is excellent for grating and zesting potatoes and related foodstuff. These graters give perfect texture to the parmesan reggiano.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I need to peel the baby potatoes before preparing them in Mexican style?
No, you should peel off the skin of baby potatoes, as the skin adds both texture and flavor. Moreover, skipping to peel off the skin saves your cooking effort significantly.
Should I have to soak potatoes in water before roasting them?
You must soak the potatoes in water properly before you go to roast them. Doing so will remove the excess starch content from the potatoes and make them crispy.
What type of potatoes should I choose to roast in the oven and cook in Mexican style?
You should use baby potatoes to roast them in the oven for cooking Mexican-style potatoes. These potato variants are not only excellent for roasting but also work well for mashing. Alternatively, you may go with Yukon or diced Yukon gold potatoes.